Monday, September 27, 2010

A post which I don't know the title

Posting once in a while makes me a person who plays tut-chak. Like the cookie chipsmore. Now you see, now you don’t.

 

Of Young Dato’s.

 

I stumbled upon a blog of a ex-serviceman, a Nuri pilot to be accurate who serves during emergency period. One of his post really got me in the head because from the post, I gather that some of those who serves the country did not even get proper recognition what more award (read monetary contributions/allowance) from the government although they give their lives for the country fighting the communist insurgency. Some lost their limbs and other lost their lives.

 

But having said that, we see more and more young Dato/Datuk running around here and there. What I am about to say here is not in any way being disrespectful to the Sultans/Rulers etc but once these young cikus being conferred datukships we wonder what contribution they give the country or at least he people? Like the datukships can be “arranged” when you are related to some people etc.

 

The latest young Dato’ I came across is the lawyer who is the main suspect in Sosilawati’s case and kid you not, came across many young lawyer Dato’ nowadays. They are not even 40 and they get the title which to me, they are not entitled to. Thus my question, “Beli ka?”.

 

Of course some justifications are forwarded that they are people who gives back to the people yadda yadda… but I don’t think compared to those who offered their limbs and lives, they deserve it. Can you imagine 27 year old Dato’? There are so many of them running around now. But when asked, most of them belong to certain quarter or connected to some quarters. Sadly, those who really deserve the honour failed to be honoured. Make you wonder, whether the rulers know who to give to or not but we all know before the ruler confer the title to a person, the list of candidates are vetted by the non-rulers (pegawai kerajaan most of them). So that’s why I’m saying I am not disrespectful to the rulers, Sultan etc but it keep me wondering until now.

 

Of Value of History.

 

I humbly think that the armed forces and the government should give and pay the dues to the servicemen first rather than these young guns and somebody should compile their stories and Filem Negara Malaysia should start having more ventures with Discovery Channel or NatGeo to educate the young on the value of the history so that they value the country more.

 

Failure to do that will result to what we have today. Yes, I don’t fly the Jalur Gemilang comes the merdeka celebration month but I am no less patriotic for that matter. I may appreciate more because I value the history of our country and I value those who sacrifice for our country.

 

But I guess, to the government, supporting Akademi Fantasia is more important than collaborating NatGeo. So, don’t blame the young when they value our independence less. My father in law, who was a history professor once told me, the budget given for historical research was way lesser compared to kebudayaan events.

 

So, history was left far-far behind and of course there are more and more Akademi Fantasia like shows on TV and to me the shows serve no purpose in Nation and Character building. No need to send young kids to BTN courses to make them love and appreciate their country. I know I love my country even I don’t go to any of the BTN courses which my brother went every semester I think.

 

So we can see where the priority is. Happy and less memory from our past. But don’t you think by educating our past to the young generation will make them more appreciative of what they have now? Recently during the merdeka period, I watched VAT69 (if you watch Band of Brothers this is a whisky brand and to prove it, please google), Emergency and some other documentaries on History Channel and Nat Geo and they were very informative and those involved are able to tell you their side of the story. How hard they toil to keep the country’s independence.

 

So let us do more and I urge the government to play greater role in educating and telling our young the struggle and the history. Our history good or bad. Let us treasure our most valuable assets (not only war time buildings) but also the stories. His and Her story*.

 

*Borrowed from Mr D’s class (School of Life starring Ryan Reynolds)

 

 

 

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Bustaman said...

Concur with your views. Some of those deserving cases do not expect rewards but it is up to the government to give credit where credit is due.

Monday 27 September 2010 at 14:24:00 GMT+8  
Anonymous Budak Kampong said...

PK,

Can read http://xnuripilot.blogspot.com/

Monday 27 September 2010 at 15:22:00 GMT+8  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home