Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Pek Nga...

… is neither a Japanese name for a car nor it is some unknown Korean word. My grandmother loves it and so do I. But people may ask what on earth is that.

For us “orang kampong” (especially in Kedah and I don’t know whether it exist outside Kedah or not), it is nothing more than a coconut pancake as opposed to the normal English pancake or “lempiang pisang”. For your information it is best to be eaten with curry (preferably fish curry) but I’ve tried with jam and butter. It is not as nice as you eat it with “gulai ikan semalam” (yesterday’s fish curry). Trust me on this it is the best thing you’ll eat and they even have a song for it. But I shall not share the song with you today. Not today. But I will share with you the way to make it.

You need:

A clean bowl
A flying pan (well frying pan. Mr Mia Sim Man, my standard 3 English teacher used to say flying)

The Ingredients:

Plain Flour (depends on how many people you’re serving. You want more you add more flour and this old recipe don’t really have measurement)

Grated Coconut at the ration of 2 flour : 1 grated coconut (if you use pound then 2 pounds flour : 1 pound grated coconut)

Water (to make a thick batter not our ordinary pancake batter a little thicker)

Salt to taste

Sauce:

Find yesterday’s fish curry (make sure it is still edible)

How to make it:

Mix flour, water, coconut and salt.

Heat pan the rest you can figure out I think. You like big pancake make big one and if you like miniature do small one.

Then it is ready to eat.

To make lempiang pisang, add banana to the batter and you’ll get lempiang pisang instead of pek nga. But make sure you eat it with “gulai semalam”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home