Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Malaysia Boleh. SERIOUSLY?

I don’t remember when the spirit “Malaysia Boleh” was first introduced. But one thing for sure it has gone way beyond the thinkable. Look at some of these examples below. There are different kinds of the “Malaysia Boleh” spirit and some of them in different categories by itself but in the spirit of “Malaysia Boleh”, here we go.

Example 1

Printed on a satellite TV guide. No worries. I subscribed to its service also. But if you read the guide, you’ll see printed somewhere in the guide, “No 1 TV Guide in Malaysia”. Let me ask you this. Other than THE TV GUIDE, do you see any other TV guide running around in our country? I’m not sure who rank them. If you want to claim something, then claim something that you really earn. Not when you are the only one there. Do you feel me? What I am rambling about?

Example 2

Some time ago, the authorities found that a golfer has been practicing here in our country. So, after they found out the fact, they say we should have given him at least a PR. Same with other sports. We gave citizenship to an athlete in walking, shooting and some other sports. Please don’t do that. We have our own athletes. Nurture them. Give them proper training, proper allowance and proper body to take care of their interest. But not to the extent go and build a sport center in London (I’m amused with this Malaysia Boleh spirit really! To do what? Make sure that they can acclimatize?). Furthermore, accept some facts which are proven. Our football team sucks and our hockey team is going there. So Glory Glory Man United. What’s there to hide?

Example 3

A bank claim that they are the best bank in Asia and actually showed the award the won. Pretty impressive don’t you think? They say they are the best bank in Asia I supposed. But today, I called them today to ask about a loan I took some time ago and guess what, nobody entertained me and every time I called, they put me on hold of just cut me off. Is that the attitude of employees of the best bank in Asia? I just wanted a release letter saying my loan has been fully settled. May be they pay for the award they won for some consecutive years. This really pissed me off this afternoon.

Example 4

We just saw the breaking ceremony of the second link to Penang last Sunday. Tacky, that’s my other half say about the design but I heard the link is going to be the longest in Asia? Correct me please if I’m wrong. People, what with this competition on having the longest, the highest or the biggest? We had the highest building some time ago but not before Taiwan came with its own tall building. In the true spirit, let’s compete and try to beat Singapore in having the busiest port in South East Asia (I heard the port is very busy and handled mega ships. We handled mega ship once in the blue moon and of course we highlight it in our newspaper like nobody’s business. We welcome this and that ship. Another “Malaysia Boleh” true spirit. Believe me Singapore handled mega ship almost every week) or beat Thailand for its tourism industry.

To sum up all the examples above, you know what I mean. Somebody please redefine the spirit of “Malaysia Boleh” itself. Point out the real matter to apply this spirit and not just shoot on whatever that comes across and claim that we can and Malaysia can. Do you know how many people swam across the English Channel before our Datuk (what his name was?) swims across and claim that he succeeded in doing something. What good does it bring to Malaysia? Unless we are the first to make a car run with air then, don’t bother. If we are competing on something, compete in something that boost our economy for the least, not compete in something that leaves us billions of Dollars in debt. On no! Somebody stop me from discussing the GDP and growth in the economy and all the KPIs. I mean I want to lash out something here but leave it to the experts or may be next time if these so-called experts tell lies in their report. Remember this is just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home