Monday, January 31, 2005

He was rude...


Err…where do I start? Okay, when I was little, my grandmother always teaches me to be courteous and considerate among other things. So, back in the kampong, we were taught phrase like “May I help you” or “May I join you” or “May I take your glass” or “Excuse me” so on and so forth. But I think the values are disappearing.

I went to one of the hypermarket last night with my wife and my daughter for our monthly groceries shopping. Nothing was wrong. Everything went well until I was in the cooking oil aisle. This guy with a trolley came and just shoo me away from the spot I was standing. He went like this “Pissst..pisstt… (then raising his eyebrow asking me to get on my way)”. I was still looking at the label on the bottle. *Gosh* What is the hurry is all about? Or can’t you ask me politely. I mean the words can be “Excuse me, may I take such and such” or “Excuse me, you are blocking my way” but no, to this guy…”pissst..pisstt” is better to him I supposed. My ears turned red immediately (I know because I feel hot flashes on my ears). Well it was not my bloody supermarket but show some courtesy. Other people can wait so why can’t you. Other people have to rush too but they were not rude. That was not the only incident. As I was following the man, I saw his wife doing the same thing with better ways “Shoosh…shoosh” as if people were dogs. I guess they have perfected the skill of shooing people… I thought to my self… wow… what a disturbing family and surely, this is not the couple who I want to have next door.

Things don’t stop there. I noticed certain things which don’t reflect us as Malaysian (who are known for their kindness, courtesy and most consideration). We don’t say thank you (no wonder The Star came out with a survey) when people do something for us. We don’t acknowledge people enough and more disturbing thing which I shall not list down here. We don’t appreciate people “period”. We have lost the kindness in us or we have lost the good moral values. The behaviour displayed by the man at the cooking oil aisle at the hypermarket is not what any society would approve. Some people may not agree with me but in any civilised society we are taught to be nice to other people unless we are living with a group of chimpanzees or orang utan. But I think these animals behave better than us at times. When people give way, smile… not give them the face as if that what they ought to do because I have the right to pass first or when people stop the elevator for you, say thank you. Don’t just go into the elevator and keep quiet.

Why can’t human being (who is equipped with brain etc) be nice and courteous to his fellow human being? As far as I am concerned last night, I didn’t do anything wrong but then again, I may be wrong as I am also a human being and we make mistakes. But I thank god because I kept my temper down last night if not, another scene will be created….

4 Comments:

Blogger tulip said...

hehehe.. u're definitely gonna hate me for this .. well.. back in the states, the bus drivers used to wait for everyone to sit down before accelerating to the next stop. everyone holds the door no matter how late they are. everyone says hello to one another, or at least a nod or a smile. the shop owners or the cashiers pretend to care, asking how're u doing. and everyone tells u, that u look good even tho u weigh a ton. :) ooo... i miss the good old days.. :P

Monday 31 January 2005 at 12:13:00 GMT+8  
Blogger Kampong_Boy said...

i think we are just upholding the Malaysia Boleh spirit. Other countries can be developed we can too and poeple can be a jerk or a snob...hey...we can too..

i noticed that when i was abroad but when i come back to Malaysia, people just don't stop at traffic lights even at the pedestrian crossing. we don't acknowledge when we are driving and people give way to us. we smoke at public places (tempat yang tak boleh merokok). we don't flush our toilet after easing ourself. we don't "beratur" to board the LRT.

we called ourself civilised?

Monday 31 January 2005 at 14:55:00 GMT+8  
Blogger Bustaman said...

It is sad when the govt had to launch a campaign to make us more polite and caring.

Wednesday 2 February 2005 at 23:07:00 GMT+8  
Blogger Kampong_Boy said...

i think we have too many campaign already pok ku. enough with the campaign...

Thursday 3 February 2005 at 14:16:00 GMT+8  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home