Thursday, May 05, 2005

Look at the cars... why so many cars tonight???

I am quite amused when I went to the petrol station last night. Dozens of vehicles are lining up for their turn to fill up their tank. Jokingly my wife says, “May be the petrol prices is going up again”. “Well, if so, as if you fill up tonight and then your tank will be full for eternity” I replied.

Not knowing that the petrol prices is going up again (don’t know whether I miss the news or I am too lazy to check the news paper), I just fill my car enough for my wife to go to work for two days.

What amuses me the most is the habit of Malaysian who likes to queue at the petrol station whenever the petrol prices are going up (so the petrol will be dearer to us). Like I pointed out to my wife, as if you don’t have to fill up in another two or three daytime.

Last night was not the first time this happened. It happen the first time the fuel prices went up and again the second time and then again and again and again. Unless your car runs on nuclear power (which defeats the reason of you going to the gas station at the first place anyway), which runs for a certain period of time, you need to fill your car again. Let me enlightened you with some mathematical formula on how much you save by going to the gas station to fill up.

Say an average car can carry up to 50 liters of fuel at one time then when you fill up full tank with the old price is RM73.00 and the new price is RM78.00. Just RM5.00 difference in the fuel prices between the old petrol price and the new one. Say if you already have 25 liters in your tank and you need to fill up another 25 liters for you to reach the maximum full tank is 25 liters. So that’s RM2.50 in savings just for one night.

Imagine the effort you have taken to get up, and then put on your pant, trousers, shirt etc. and to leave home. The cost of storing the energy to do that alone will cost you more than RM2.50 and the petrol will not last forever. The maximum day your petrol will last is three days. Unless you fill up and leave your car at home (which is not the case after all) you will have to fill up again with the new prices.

I think this is the mentality of us Malaysian that we need to change. I know how much RM5.00 meant to some people (believe me I have been there) but for only RM5.00 you waste your time queuing at the petrol station? Come on….

By the way I fill up my bike this morning and usually with RM5.00 I can get full tank but today I wonder why la on earth my tank is only ¾ full. Without realizing the fuel prices have gone up again.

*Sigh* have to go and see boss for raise again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home