Friday, April 22, 2005

Those buggers took my shoes

I don’t really have many shoes throughout my life (well, let’s exclude the existence of football boots, kasut sekolah and running shoes). Despite all that, I owned some nice shoes along the way. This includes couple of boots, loafers and moccasins. But I love my shoes. I love the one that I have.

The story of me loosing shoes started when I first put my feet on the university soil. For some reasons or another, I started loosing a pair after another pair of my shoes. The first incident was my loafers when I am staying at the Lembah Pantai Campus. I lost it at Masjid Abu Bakar As Siddiq in Bangsar (it is the mosque for goodness sake). I don’t know whether the culprit followed me the mosque but some how or rather he managed to trace my shoes even with the fact that I put my shoes separately. One side at one shoe rack and the other side at the other shoe rack, which is about 5 feet apart. I didn’t manage to get the loafers back (kira halal la tu). But the idiot who stole my shoes has the courtesy to leave behind a pair of “Japanese slippers” (selipar jepun) for me to wear.

The second pair was a boot. I like that boot because first of all, it is damn comfortable and secondly I got it at a good price. But this time, I didn’t loose the pair at a mosque or any public place but in my own room. Can you believe it? Loosing a pair of shoes in your own room. I must have been asleep at that time (tido mampus la ni). A week after the incident, I went to a “pasar malam” in Kerinchi and surprisingly I saw my shoes among those sold at the second hand shoes place and of course I have to repurchase my own shoes at the price of RM35/- (funny thought, you actually buy a pair of shoes twice).

Third pair was another pair of boots. This time I lost my shoes during Friday prayer at KLCC mosque. Soon I found out that these people actually never stops stealing shoes. Ironically, I didn’t put it very far from where I was standing. They were just behind the place where I pray. Once I finish my business with God I turned and found out that my shoes were missing. Believe it or not, you can loose your belonging that fast, even if it is with a blink of your eyes.

After those incidents I got a little smart. I didn’t bring my shoes to any mosque anymore. It is within the perimeter of my office every time I go out for prayer or anytime I need to take off my shoes. Or if I got into the incident where I have to wear shoes when I go for Friday prayers, I will go to the nearest (expensive) cobbler and ask them to polish my shoes. So, I will leave my shoes there at the cobbler and wear their slippers to the mosque. Well, it will cost you some money but it is still better compared to loosing your shoes which worth some money but a little bit more expensive compared to the expenses you pay to polish your shoes.

Until one day when I actually forgot to bring in my loafers into the sacred perimeter of my own house (or actually my mother in-law’s place). Then recently (actually last Tuesday) I lost another pair of shoes. The one I wore on Monday. I forgot to bring it into the house again and this time the idiots didn’t hesitate. Damn, that was the pair my wife gave me for our wedding. I swear if I ran into the person who took it, I whack his head twice. One whack for stealing other people’s property and another whack for stealing the property, which are the shoes that my wife gave me during our wedding.

I mean, what the heck for going around stealing other people’s shoes? How much money can you get from selling second hand shoes? For me shoes are like undergarments and toothbrush. You don’t go around and steal other people’s undergarments (well, this is not actually true because I had a friend who has a friend who likes to steal woman brassiere (was there man brassiere?) and panties (he’s mentally unstable what can I say) and my mother used to tell me when she was in college, she has friend who like to steal those things too.

I can understand if you steal money or other consumables but shoes? Come on people. I don’t buy shoes that often and it will take me a long time to get the one that I really like. Gay people wear most shoes sold now. Just look at the pattern. We men don’t wear that. You know the pointy type with buckles. I’d rather wear the one with shoelaces. A bit trouble to tie the shoelaces but as long as I don’t look like George Micheal in Malaysia I’d be happy. No, the manufacturers must make people look like that. It is all in the name of fashion (Don’t get me started on men’s fashion. They all look ridiculous now). We say 70’s were bad but look at those on sale now. They are even worse.

Okay, lets get back on the shoes topic. I mean all of them look ridiculous. May be it is due to my up bringing. You know the military style and everything, the style for men shoes should be one type only but hey, we look manly in that kind of shoes. With shoelaces (not the pointy one) and all. Leave the pointy shoes to the ladies. We don’t need to look like genie in Aladdin. I don’t know when I am getting another pair to replace the one I lost couple of days ago but believe me, I will only find the one I like after some time and after countless of actual men hours utilised.

2 Comments:

Blogger tulip said...

80's was hideous, but 70s groovy..

as for your shoes.. maybe they've a hard time looking for suitable shoes themselves. that's why they took yours, u see.. i have the same problem, only it's not shoes they took. they took my bras and panties. dah la mahal. kuang ajaq..

Saturday 23 April 2005 at 10:15:00 GMT+8  
Blogger Unknown said...

bk,
I've always wonder why the heck those people go to the mosque in the first place. My lost more than a dozen sandals (not a flip flop)in three years until my mother suggested to my father to wear an old terompah. And sometimes, even the raggedy terompah went missing and my father came home berchicken feet.
Happy Hunting for a new pair of shoes.

Wednesday 27 April 2005 at 11:51:00 GMT+8  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home